from Ballinalacken Castle Country House & Restaurant
Doolin, Co Clare, Ireland
Adapted from Mrs. O’Callaghan’s Soda Bread, this recipe makes one rectangular loaf or it can be baked free-form as a 7-inch round on prepared cookie sheet.
Non-stick cooking spray as needed
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled margarine or butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups buttermilk
Raisins or currants optional
1. Preheat oven to 425°F . Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Whisk both flours, sugar, and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
3. Add margarine and cut in until margarine is reduced to pea-size pieces. Add buttermilk; stir until shaggy dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead until dough comes together, about 10 turns.
4. Shape dough into 7-inch round. Place dough on prepared baking sheet. Cur large X, 1/2 inch deep, in top of dough.
5. Bake bread until deep brown and bottom sounds hollow when firmly tapped, about 40 minutes. Transfer bread to rack and cool completely.